Image Source: Vadim Molochnikov
If you are unable to find the portable version of a program and you wish to create one, you are at the right place. Here are 3 free portable app creators to make any software portable. However, do note that these tools are for Windows users only.
Cameo is a lightweight and robust portable app creator. It also has an extensive app library which includes over 300 popular virtual apps. Besides, you can store your apps in a cloud drive, so that you can download them from anywhere.
To start using Cameyo, you have to register for a free account and login. You can then download any portable apps from its library or add apps in your cloud drive. To create your own virtual application, you can either capture the application locally or online, which are both pretty easy to do.
Another application virtualization system for Windows. Combines all application files and registries into an executable file. To virtualize an application, simply include the main executable file of the application as input file and any related files of the application.
Evalaze is compatible with Windows and Windows Server machines. Creating a portable app is easy by following the instructions given by the Evalaze assistant. It will first run a prescan to scan registry and file system before the installation of the application. Once the installation is completed, a post scan is performed to identify the changes on your system, in order to create a portable version of your application.
Bonus : TWO TRIAL TOOLS (that can also try)
1. Spoon Studio (Free 30-day evaluation)
Spoon Virtual Application Studio lets you to convert Windows-compatible software into self-contained virtual applications. Spoon Studio provides 4 ways to package your software into portable application:
- If the application is not from your desktop or it needs to be modified, use thetemplate wizard, which includes a list of popular applications.
- If you wish to turn an installed software in your system to portable, you canscan your desktop for installed applications.
- If the software isn’t installed in your computer, you can use a snapshot process to virtualize third-party applications.
- If you want to manually configure virtualization settings, select the last option. Suitable for developers only.
VMware ThinApp is discontinued on December 15th 2013 and incorporated into 3 other VMware products. Therefore, to use the trial version of ThinApp, you have to sign up for free trial from 1 of the 3 other VMware products. After registration, you can access to the ThinApp’s download link and install ThinApp with the license key provided.
In order to use ThinApp, you can refer to this tutorial video from Train Signal.
To avoid the hassle of creating portable applications from commonly used software, here are some portable app suites that collect hundreds of popular software and games. Apart from their large collection of portable apps, these portable app suites also help you to manage, update, and secure your downloaded apps.
- LiberKey – LiberKey has near 300 applications in its catalog. Choose 1 of the 3 suites available: basic, standard, or ultimate, according to your needs.
- PortableApps – The most popular portable app suite. PortableApps has over 300 applications in its library and it allows you to customize the look of PortableApps platform.
- winPenPack – winPenPack collects most of the popular open source software. You can choose between winPenPack Essential and winPenPack Full, depending on your pendrive capacity.
- Lupo PenSuite - Lupo PenSuite has over 160 portable programs. There are 3 versions available: full, lite, and zero..